first up, getting started on the other half of the punta (which had been soaking in the synthrapol’ed water for a couple days by now).
I filled the pot with water, added what was left of the peacock dye, then put the pasta insert in before moving the wool over. let that heat up and got to work on the Wensleydale.
the wensleydale had a shorter pre-soak. pulled it out, drained it a bit, then over to the table. mixed up some more purple and some royal blue. wow, the royal blue is very purpley in liquid form - it was almost difficult to tell them apart. (the purple was a bit pinker if you swirled it). diluted the stock solutions (I tried a 3 bits water to 1 bit dye. diluted the green a bit more than that) and poured it onto the wool. ran out of color so diluted some more. the purples didn’t match (I’m wondering if I accidentally did two rounds of blue), but it still looks good. wrap the saran wrap around it and go back to the stove to check on things there.
at some point, the blue was more or less exhausted, so I diluted some purple and poured it in three spots around the edge, then went to wait for it to exhaust. it didn’t - it just kept spreading (so much for the thought of adding some royal blue to it later on). so I pulled it out and set it aside (the pasta insert came in handy for that, though may have contributed to the mucho spreading of the purple).
looked in the pot to see what the water looked like - very dark. very purple. couldn’t let all that dye go to waste, so I went digging through the undyed wool stash and pulled out the Falklands I bought at Maryland. measured out 4 oz and put it in the (hot) pot dry, using the steamer basket to assist with the submerging. put the lid on and let it sit.
I then worried a bit that it might have been shocked to death and felted, but at that point, there wasn’t much to be done. so it sat and soaked. meanwhile, the other two are awaiting their turns in the steamer basket. (I think I need another pot and steamer.)
around dinner time, I checked back on it and the dye was mostly exhausted. plop the wool from the water into the steamer basket, pour out some of the water, and steam away. realize the wensleydale is oozing purple so decide to steam that next. (thankfully the colors are deep enough that the bleed wasn’t really noticeable), and then steam the punta wool.
a careful rinsing once they cooled off a bit and on to drying.
here they are drying on the target clothes drying rack:
2 oz Wensleydale wool from littlebarn at Maryland - green, royal blue, bright purple (cushings dyes)
2 oz punta wool from The Fiber Studio - peacock & bright purple
punta wools - side by side (2 oz each)
4 oz Falklands 58s wool from littlebarn at Maryland - dyepot remnants (mostly bright purple, possibly some peacock). it doesn’t seem to have felted.